Thursday, December 08, 2005

Alas, my poor heart

I've always had a heart murmur. By definition, my congenital heart defects were present at birth. Chronologically, in order of correction: holes in my heart as a newborn, coarctation (narrowing) of the aorta as a pre-teen, and now stenotic (narrowed) aortic valve. As one of my aunts lovingly described me at a gathering this summer "She was born all messed up." Thanks, Aunt _____, I'm taking that with a grain of salt. ;-)

However, I've been lucky never to have experienced a moment of symptoms or limitations as a result. The holes in my heart at birth corrected themselves (I guess this condition isn't entirely uncommon in newborns and most often the heart can heal itself as it continues to develop in early infancy). The two more permanent defects are related to my aorta and aortic valve.

The aorta is the main artery leaving the heart and feeding the entire body (with oxygen-rich blood straight from the lungs). The aortic valve is the gateway from the left ventricle to the aorta. My narrowed aorta was repaired when I was 12; my aortic valve will be replaced next month. Apparently, these two defects often travel as a couple, which makes sense - they're both in the same general area and if that part of the heart hasn't developed properly it stands to reason they'll both be affected. I was comforted to see that the treatment I've been receiving seems pretty textbook (aorta repaired pre-teen and valve replaced later in adulthood).

Back to the murmur.... I've always known I had a heart murmur, but it wasn't until .. oh, about a year and a half ago, that I really and truly understood the uniqueness of my heartbeat (resulting from my defective valve). At my annual OB/GYN appt (of all places!) last year, I finally heard a side-by-side comparison of my heartbeat and a "normal" heartbeat. Wow! That was an eye-opener!

If a normal heartbeat is ba-bump ba-bump ba-bump, then mine would be more like ba-swoosh ba-swoosh ba-swoosh. Definitely not "normal"!

Well, after the dust from my doctor/surgeon appts this summer settled, and a course of action (valve replacement) was planned, it dawned on me that my heartbeat will be altered as a result. How weird to think of something so elemental to your existence as being changed! Not wanting to miss out on what was happening to my body, I went out and dropped a few bucks and picked myself up a shiny new stethoscope.

Now I (and anyone else with an interest or curiosity) can hear my heartbeat any old time. And then next year listen again and see how it's changed. [enter pig valve oink/squeal joke here]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Christina. I would love to listen to your heart and you can listen to mine as well. I own many stethoscopes and I have audio and video of my heart beating.