Thursday, August 24, 2006

Mackinac Bridge Walk


Next week Tony and I are heading to the UP with my parents for Labor Day weekend. On Labor Day I'll be walking the Mackinac Bridge with my parents (along with thousands and thousands of other people). Tony's passing on the fun -- for some reason waking up at the crack of dawn to walk five miles (the first half of which is uphill!) just doesn't do it for him. My parents participate pretty much every year; I've done it three times, most recently in 1997 with Tony and my parents. I'm due to give it another go.

Since the end of '05 I've been looking forward to the trip north with my parents and walking the bridge again this year. I knew my surgery was coming up, but I didn't figure my recovery would prevent a five mile walk more than seven months later. Well, let me tell you, it was a wake up in late April when I realized the bridge walk was only four short months away and I wasn't even able to tackle a mile yet!

But that was months ago and I've felt "fully recovered" for quite a while now. I know I'm still working my way back to "normal shape" exercise-wise, but I have so much energy and strength now, the only thing holding me back is pure laziness. Working out with Heather once a week, and swimming once a week with Stefanie is helping me to get back in shape (plus whenever I get on my treadmill in between workouts). I have no doubts about being able to complete the five mile walk without any problems.

Although, looking at that picture.... those cars are awfully small which makes the bridge look pretty intimidating!

No comments: