Friday, November 21, 2008

Page 56

I have been tagged by my friend Random Thinker to make a post on my blog. I admit, I've been lax in making new posts and am long overdue. Thanks for the prompt.

The requirements of this particular post are as follows: Open the book nearest your computer. No fair hunting for something that sounds intellectual and impressive, to page 56. Post the 5th sentence,plus one or two thereafter for context.

Alright, Random Thinker, here's my homework:

"I looked around. Most of the remaining women were now having fights with men said to be their husbands. Even Jordan's party, the quartet from East Egg, were rent asunder by dissension. One of the men was talking with curious intensity to a young actress, and his wife after attempting to laugh at the situation in a dignified and indifferent way broke down entirely and resorted to flank attacks -- at intervals she appeared suddenly at his side like an angry diamond and hissed "You promised!" into his ear."

--The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I admit I debated for a minute on which book to grab for this post. Looking around my desk I saw Peachtree Accounting 2005 (snooze), Slaughterhouse Five ( racked with guilt over borrowing it from my brother a year ago --at least I hope it’s just a year-- and still not done reading it), God Delusion (didn’t want to open that can of worms) or Festivus: A Holiday for the Rest of Us (don’t know why I didn’t go for this one).

The Great Gatsby (along with many many other books both fiction and non) had been sitting on my “I’ll read it one day” shelf for, oh let’s face it, years! Finally on Monday I decided that good old Gatsby’s day had arrived. He was selected from the masses for a variety of reasons. I really really want to finish reading another book before the end of the year and its non-overwhelming size appealed to me. It’s an American classic. No offense to Sue Grafton, but I needed a break from Kinsey for a while or it would have been S is for Silence.

Just started reading it this week (okay, I've picked it up once) and have yet to make it to page 56, so now I have something to look forward to.

3 comments:

No-sister said...

Oh. My. God. You blogged. Next thing you know, KRISTIE might. I am shocked and amazed... in a good way. :o)

Random Thinker said...

The Great Gatsby.... very impressive. Glad to see you blogging again. You were my inspiration to start one of my own.

GBox said...

OMG! Responses already!

No-sister -- funny you should respond, I almost tagged you to make the same post. :) And we're definitely due to hear from Kristie again.

Random Thinker -- Thanks again for the prompt. :)