Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Cow valve?! What the.....?

Tony and I went to St Joe's yesterday afternoon for office visits with my surgeon and my cardiologist. All went well - no new roadblocks, some questions answered, minimal poking and prodding, and no one made me feel like crying - generally good visits.

During the surgical consultation, my doctor asked what type of valve we are thinking about - I said a tissue/pig valve. Doc agreed with my reasoning in selecting the tissue over the mechanical valve at this time. Then he asked if I wanted a pig valve or a cow valve. Now, I was aware that cow valves are also in the pool of possible replacement parts, but most of the reading I've done was centered on pig valves. Apparently cow valves are equally popular as pig valves and offer a viable option.

Two things:
1 - My first thought was "Pig valve! It's gotta be the pig valve! Months worth of teasing and mockery have been endured with more to come -- we can't change tracks now!!"
2 - I can't imagine I'm going to notice the difference, and I have no criteria with which to make this decision (is one prettier than the other? does it clash with my aorta repair? which one is more slimming?).

I figure I'll leave the final decision to the doc, but here's hoping for the pig valve.

No comments: