Monday, January 16, 2006

Home stretch

Well, I'm in the home stretch leading up the my surgery and reality is setting in. Yesterday at home I started having what can only be described as sudden, violent mood swings. Poor Tony didn't know what was happening. I apologized and advised him that his best strategy for survival over the next week is to keep a very low profile and/or bow to my every whim. He seemed to understand and began obliging me.

Despite the aforementioned mood swings, it was actually a very nice weekend. We had friends over Friday for dinner and games. Saturday I met a dear friend in Ann Arbor for lunch, shopping, and catching up. The rest of the weekend was spent at home with Tony, watching tv and movies. Absolutely nothing was accomplished and I loved it!

At work this morning I sent my company-wide email informing everyone of my upcoming leave of absence. None of the gory details of why I was going to be gone -- I approached it strictly as the practical need to inform everyone of my absence. After the initial email, however, I sent some individual notes and responded to questions as they came. I definitely don't mind talking about my upcoming ordeal, but it seems so dramatic to just whip it out of the blue and say "oh, I won't be here Monday, I'm having open heart surgery".

This Wednesday I have my pre-surgery physical at my surgeon's office (he comes highly recommended, by the way - we've heard excellent things from other medical professionals, as well as former patients). After Wednesday, I'll have more information about my hospital stay. At that time I'll post information about visiting hours and directions, as I would LOVE to have visitors and see some friendly faces while I'm laid up.

No comments: