Sunday, March 26, 2006

Walking AND Chewing Gum

Everything is continuing to get better here. Things are so much easier for me and I have been more active over the last couple weeks. Last week I started walking regularly for exercise. I only do 1/2 mile a day, but I have done it six out of the last seven days. Looking forward, I'd love to get back in the swimming pool within the next month, but I think the racquetball will have to wait a while. I am a little bummed, however, that with all the other limitations of my body, I haven't been able to take the new and improved ticker out for a test run to see what it can do.

Ironically, I also found that last week I started doing some really quality "vegging". In large part that's because I finally feel comfortable (physically) lounging around on the couch. Part of it might also be that I'll be returning to work soon and want to soak up the rest of my time off while I still can. ;-) Ripley, of course, has fully supported my couch time by graciously keeping me company and continuing to look out for me.

Looking back, February was a blur. I came home on February 4th, and it was a good three weeks that I didn't notice much improvement at all. Actually, it was just a few weeks ago that I suddenly found myself starting to improve and feeling better and stronger.

As far as on-going issues, I'm still on blood pressure meds, but honestly, I'll probably always have to be treated for that. I'm continuing to take an iron supplement, but I'm only expecting that to last for another couple months. Also, I'm continuing to test my blood sugar each morning, but I'm not being treated currently (I'd love to avoid that if I can!).

The hearing loss in my right ear is still 100% which continues to suck. I am getting used to it, though, and trying to make the proper compensations. We saw an ear doctor last week - he listened to our story about my hospital stay and thinks that while I was being treated for the blood disorder, I had a small blood clot that lodged, essentially causing a mini-stroke that solely affected my right ear. Hearing aids won't help as there's no hearing left to work with and the nerves have been damaged. However, once you start hearing "blood clot" and "mini-stroke", suddenly the hearing loss is put into perspective and you realize it could have been so much worse.

Now that I'm well into healing, before you know it (okay, next Monday, April 3rd!) I'll be back at work. It'll be difficult getting back in the routine, I think, and catching up on all I missed should be interesting. But it'll be nice to see all the familiar faces and catch up with my friends.

Oh! Today while I was outside walking, I was also chewing gum, so...... well..... you know.
;-)

No comments: