Friday, January 20, 2006

The Pig Might be Spared

Slight change of plans -- I think I'm going to go a different way with my surgery on Monday. After a last-minute consultation with my surgeon, I'm opting for the Ross Procedure instead of the pig valve.

Throughout my research of the last six months, I've read about the Ross Procedure (moving my pulmonary valve to replace my aortic valve, then using a human donor valve to replace my pulmonary valve). Somehow it never clicked with me (I was never aware of the benefits for a patient my age) and I was stuck thinking "why replace two when I only need one?".

This week at St Joe's I was given a booklet about heart valve surgeries (explaining the variety of procedures, hospital stay, recovery, etc). Wednesday night I was idly flipping through just reading random snippets - confident I knew all I needed to know after months of research and consultations. For some reason I stopped and read the two quick paragraphs describing the Ross Procedure -- how the repair lasts longer than pig valve replacements, also does not require blood thinners after recovery, and is a very good choice for young, healthy patients expecting a smooth recovery. "Particularly women of child-bearing age requiring aortic valve replacement." Ding ding ding -- a bell started to ring, and I mulled over the Ross Procedure for the next 24 hours. Last night I mentioned it to Tony and we did some quick research to reinforce what we already suspected -- that this might be exactly the surgery for me!

Today I called my surgeon's office and asked if he considers me a candidate, does he recommend the procedure for me, and can we still plan it for Monday? Yes, yes, yes were the responses! No final decisions yet, however, he's going to see what's the best he can do for me come Monday morning.

Sure, I'm a little disappointed that he hadn't tried to sell me on the Ross Procedure originally, or that he hadn't made sure I understood the benefits before I dismissed it as a possibility. But I guess this is why it's important that patients do their own research - not to second guess the docs, but more to be fully knowledgeable of their condition and possibilities for treatment. I'm glad I've done my research.

The surgery is a little riskier due to the replacement of two valves instead of just the one. However, now that I've got my mind wrapped around the need to have the surgery, I'm not so concerned about the risks of what he does while he's in there. Honestly, my concerns are more general - having the surgery at all, and going on and coming off the bypass machine with no problems. Beyond that, once he's in I don't care what he does and if he spends another hour Monday morning which buys me ten years on a redo - I say go for it!

Here's a little bit of info about the Ross procedure:
http://www.cts.usc.edu/rossprocedure.html

So yes, the pig may be spared ("Whew!" says the piggy). I am leaving the final decision in the capable hands of my surgeon - I told him I want to try the Ross Procedure but to do whatever he thinks is best when the time comes.

In the meantime, I'd like to give an enthusiastic, appreciative shout out to all of the organ donors and those considering organ donation -- THANK YOU! I'm not even remotely able to wrap my mind around this one right now (receiving a donor organ). But I do appreciate the opportunity it provides me.

2 comments:

No-sister said...

Good luck, Christine! I'll be thinking of you all Monday. And I'll talk to you soon!

Adam said...

Hey Christine,

Hope the surgery went well and your recovery is complete!

Dr. Vaughn Starnes from USC was my surgeon and I have been lucky to chat with Dr. Ross in the past.

FYI, I have posted some of my research about the Ross Procedure surgery for patients and caregivers at my website link below.

Cheers,

Adam
Ross Procedure