Sunday, August 13, 2006

The Devil's Rejects

This afternoon Tony and I watched The Devil's Rejects. Not the most up-beat movie watching weekend as this selection follows up yesterday's viewing of The Machinist (Christian Bale as a 120-pound -- yes, 120-pound, the man was SKINNY! -- blue collar worker dissolving into insanity after he ... wait, I can't tell you, it'll ruin the movie).

The Devil's Rejects is Rob Zombie's (writer and director) sequel to House of 1000 Corpses about a serial killing family who kidnaps, tortures, and eventually kills hundreds of random passersby. Lovely! Need I say this movie was a Tony selection?

I don't know much about Rob Zombie's music (no titles come to mind) but the man can make a movie! Who would think you'd be made to feel compassion (not just once, but twice!) for the family of heinously brutal unrepentent serial killers? No, it's nothing as easy as a deep-seeded rationale for their behavior; it's much more unexpected than that. They tease each other about whether to stop the car for ice cream, and if so, what flavor would they get. They have home movies of happy carefree times laughing together. Times they weren't in the basement hacking strangers to bits, that is. Okay, so they weren't exactly the Brady Bunch, you still felt something for them and it definitely caught you by surprise.

Now I've got to watch House of 1000 Corpses. And I see he has two more movies in the works. And I really can't blame the selection on Tony as I menioned earlier -- I'm TOTALLY into horror/slasher movies recently. Can't wait to see Saw II (just discovered that Saw III is coming out in October!) and Ring II (we're behind in our rentals).

No comments: